Ballon d’Or 2016: France Football unveils 30 nominees as voting procedure witnesses twist
The process for the Ballon d’Or 2016 is underway. France Football are publishing the list of 30 players who could win the trophy.
This year’s Ballon d’Or is judged solely by a panel of journalists after Fifa and France Football decided to part ways.
They had originally joined forces to combine the previous Fifa World Player of the Year prize with the French publication’s prestigious individual prize in 2010.
For the last six years coaches and captains of national sides always voted, which always through up some fun, oddball selections.
Lionel Messi won the Ballon d’Or 2015 and Cristiano Ronaldo is aiming to win it back after his triumphs with Portugal and Real Madrid in Euro 2016 and the Champions League respectively.
On form, there can only be one winner and that is Lionel Mess, but we will see how the votes go. These are the 30 nominees:
Sergio Kun Agüero (Manchester City)
2. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Borussia Dortmund)
3. Gareth Bale (Real Madrid)
4. Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus)
5. Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid)
6. Paulo Dybala (Juventus)
7. Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City)
8. Diego Godín (Atlético Madrid)
9. Antoine Griezmann (Atlético de Madrid)
10. Gonzalo Higuaín (Juventus)
11. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Manchester United)
12. Andrés Iniesta (FC Barcelona)
13. Koke (Atlético Madrid)
14. Toni Kroos (Real Madrid)
15. Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Múnich)
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.