Sunday, February 23, 2020

Nigerian Army hands over 183 teenagers working for Boko Haram to the United Nations

Must Read

At least 183 teenagers, who were previously working with Boko Haram terrorists, have been handed over to the United Nations by the Nigerian Army. They were handed over to officials of the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) and United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) in Maiduguri, the Borno State.

The Theatre Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, Maj.-Gen Nicholas Rogers released the male and female teenagers.

Rogers said they were arrested at various locations in the north east. United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) hailed the release of the teenagers by Nigerian Armed Forces in Maiduguri. Mohamed Fall, UNICEF Representative in Nigeria gave the commendation in Abuja, noting that they were released after been cleared of ties with Boko Haram insurgents.

Nigerian Army hands over 183 teenagers working for Boko Haram to the United Nations

Fall identified them as ranges from age seven to 18 comprising of eight girls and 175 males. He commended the efforts of the military and the authorities, adding that their action demonstrated a clear commitment to ensuring better protection of children affected by the conflict.

“These eight girls and 175 boys are first and foremost victims of the ongoing conflict and their release is an important step on their long road to recovery. We will be working with the Borno State Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development and partners to provide the children with all the assistance they need. I also want to commend the action taken by the military and the authorities, it demonstrates a clear commitment to better protect children affected by the conflict” he said.

Leave a Reply

Latest Post

Emir Sanusi to beggars: If you must beg, beg govt not individuals

The Emir of Kano, Alhaji Muhammadu Sanusi II, on Saturday called on people who beg for alms or other...

Adamawa attack: Boko Haram operated for 6 hours

More revelations have continued to pour in over the unfortunate Boko Haram terrorists attack on the Garkida community in Gombi Local Government Area of...

FG breaks silence on Abacha loot

Nigeria’s Federal Government has rubbished allegation that the President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration plans to hand about $100 million the American authorities said was stolen...

PFN to Buhari: Put an end to unending cycle of violence, killings

The Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria, PFN, has called on President Muhammadu Buhari to put an end to unending cycle of violence and killings in...

Bagudu’s $100m: PDP urges N/Assembly to probe Presidency

President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration, following fresh reports of clandestine plots by the Presidency to pillage the looted funds repatriated by the United States. Bagudu’s...

More Articles Like This