Sunday, February 23, 2020

Court blocks bid to reveal Buhari’s medical bill

Must Read

Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari does not have to reveal the cost of his treatment for an undisclosed illness that incapacitated him for several months, a judge ruled on Tuesday.

Buhari, 75, spent a large part of last year in London but the exact nature of his condition remains a mystery. He has said only that it involved multiple blood transfusions and tests.

His absence from the helm of Africa’s most populous nation prompted speculation about his fitness to govern — as well as whether Nigerian taxpayers footed his private medical bill.

Read More: Court blocks bid to reveal Buhari’s medical bill

Civil society group the Advocacy for Societal Rights Advancement and Development Initiative made a freedom of information request to the Central Bank of Nigeria for details.

When the request was denied, trustees took the CBN and its governor Godwin Emefiele to court.

Judge John Tsoho said the Freedom of Information Act provided for an exemption where personal information is not publicly available and the individual has not consented.

“There is no evidence of the president having consented to disclosure of personal information relating to his health and the information is certainly not publicly available,” he said.

“I therefore hold that the information sought by the applicant… is exempt,” he told the Federal High Court in Abuja in a ruling.

“On the whole, the applicants’ suit is not sustained and it is struck out.”

The judge said the applicants should have sought the information from the office of the president’s chief of staff but he would likely have refused for the same reasons.

Representatives from the civil society group made no comment afterwards, according to an AFP reporter.

The group previously sought an injunction to stop Buhari being sworn in as president after his election victory in 2015.

Buhari is seeking a second four-year term at polls in February next year.

Leave a Reply

Latest Post

Adamawa attack: Boko Haram operated for 6 hours

More revelations have continued to pour in over the unfortunate Boko Haram terrorists attack on the Garkida community in...

FG breaks silence on Abacha loot

Nigeria’s Federal Government has rubbished allegation that the President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration plans to hand about $100 million the American authorities said was stolen...

PFN to Buhari: Put an end to unending cycle of violence, killings

The Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria, PFN, has called on President Muhammadu Buhari to put an end to unending cycle of violence and killings in...

Bagudu’s $100m: PDP urges N/Assembly to probe Presidency

President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration, following fresh reports of clandestine plots by the Presidency to pillage the looted funds repatriated by the United States. Bagudu’s...

Declare Kalu’s seat vacant — Abia PDP chieftain

A chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Abia, Chief Charles Ike, has charged the Senate leadership to declare the Abia North Senatorial...

More Articles Like This